When tasked with investing in mobile devices for the workforce choosing between a consumer device and enterprise device can be a challenge. Here are some of the reasons why we believe that rugged devices are a more worthwhile investment….
- PRICE: Although the purchase price of a rugged device is often higher than that of a consumer device, functionality differs greatly between the two. Rugged devices are purpose built and far more versatile. If the two devices were brought up to the same level of functionality then the overall cost would be much closer.
- TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP: For many organisations the loss of information or downtime caused by a damaged or broken PDA can cost more than the initial outlay of a rugged device. Rugged devices typically have a lower TCO than consumer ones as they have a longer lifespan and are much more durable.
- RUGGEDNESS: As said, rugged devices are purpose built. If a device is going to be used in an office then a fairly standard model may be acceptable. However, if the device is needed for a warehouse or will be used outdoors etc then it may be easily dropped and subject to harsh conditions then it needs to be a rugged device.
- FUNCTIONALITY: Rugged devices are built specifically for workers and are more versatile than consumer devices – integrating features such as RFID, barcode readers, NFC, hot swappable batteries and magnetic stripe readers.
- DOWNTIME: Downtime affects productivity, efficiency and profitability. Consumer units can have a three or four-fold higher failure rate than rugged handhelds. They also have a downtime that is typically 40-50% higher than the same for a rugged device.
- SUPPORT: Although support plans for rugged handhelds are usually more expensive than those for consumer devices, they are much more comprehensive. The higher failure rate of consumer units also means that the cost of supporting them is higher. In addition, rugged devices offer more comprehensive and longer warranty periods.
If you would like any further information about how to transfer your existing hardware to more rugged suitable devices then do not hesistate to contact us via email or phone!
0845 833 1890